ASCET Code of Ethics
The Engineering Technician’s and Technologist’s role as professionals will uphold and advance honor and dignity among fellow members of the profession. In keeping with the high standards of ethical conduct, these professionals:
- Will recognize such a standard, not in passive observance, but as a standard of professionalism and way of life.
- Will use their knowledge and skill for the advancement of the profession.
- Will strive to increase the competence and prestige of the profession.
SECTION 1 - The Engineering Technician and Technologist will be guided in their profession by the highest standards of integrity, and will act as professionals for each client or employer as a faithful agent or trustee. These professionals:
- Will admit and accept their own errors when proven wrong.
- Will advise their client or employer when they believe a potential problem may exist.
- Will not attempt to maliciously or falsely injure the credibility of others within the profession.
- Will not disclose confidential information concerning business affairs or work of a client or employer.
SECTION 2 - The Engineering Technician and Technologist will have proper regard for the safety, health, and welfare of the public in the performance of their technical duties. These professionals:
- Will regard their duties to the public welfare as paramount.
- Will seek opportunities to be of constructive service in civic affairs, and work for the advancement of the safety, health, and well-being of their communities.
SECTION 3 - The Engineering Technician and Technologist will give credit to those deserving, and will identify the person or persons responsible for accomplishments within their profession.
SECTION 4 - The Engineering Technician and Technologist will interchange information and experience with fellow engineering technicians, technologists, students and associates to provide opportunities for the professional development and advancement of others within the profession. These professionals:
- Will encourage those within the profession to continue their education.
- Will encourage fellow engineering technicians, technologists, students and associates to attend workshops, and professional and technical society meetings
- Will encourage engineering technicians and technologists to become certified.